Sunday, October 12, 2014

Blog post #8

PauschLastLecture
What Can We Learn About Teaching and Learning From Randy Pausch?

As I started watching this hour long video, my though was "For real?!". What could this guy possibly talk about for an hour on teaching and learning. In the video, Pausch talks about three different topics, 1. Childhood dreams 2. Helping other enable dreams 3. Lesson learned.
Through Pausch's lecture, I realized that with me as a teacher, I will always be learning.

With teaching, and the example story in the lecture that Pausch gives, when you give your students a project and the over come your expectations on what they will research and learn, Pausch tells his students that they have done a good job, but he thinks they could do better. With that, I believe that is a great way to teach because you, as a teacher, are complimenting your student's work , but at the same time pushing them to learn more.
GoodBetter

3 comments:

  1. Hi Meagan,

    I agree. When I first saw the length of the video I was wary of what to expect. However, time flew by as I listened to Pausch's lecture. His message was clear and we could all learn a lot from it. It is very important as a teacher to not set a standard for our students. Let them discover what their best work is. I hope you got more from his lecture than just that. Don't forget about his head fakes and brick walls. Also, I think you meant to type "thought" instead of "though". The first sentence of your second paragraph is a little confusing. I would find a way to re-word it. Maybe give share Pausch's story first and then explain what you learned from it. Just a suggestion! Overall I enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't assume that you reader has read the assigned material or watched the videos. More than just EDM students read your blog.

    What else did you learn from watching Randy's Last Lecture?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a good job on summarizing the video as someone who as seen it. I would add more detail and maybe the link to the video for other viewers who have not yet seen the video. Adding the link can allow the other readers of your blog to watch what you are talking about and maybe understand your post better.

    ReplyDelete